Harry Shapland Colt was a Cambridge University educated Lawyer from the West Midlands in England. A proficient player, Harry Colt captained the Cambridge golf team. After graduation, he lived and worked in Hastings, a short journey from Rye. As a member and capable player, he was given the opportunity to redesign the links with the help of Douglas Rolland. The same year he was appointed to serve as the club's honorary secretary.
From Rye to Sunningdale
In 1901, Harry Colt applied to be the secretary of the Willie Park Jr layout, Sunningdale. From his arrival until his departure in 1913, Harry made continuous improvements to the layout. His design work was not limited to just Sunningdale. During this period, numerous courses were developed in the Surrey heathland and also in Scotland at St. Andrews. His work at the home of golf cemented his reputation as the world's leading golf course architect at that time.
During his time at Sunningdale, the demand for his services steadily grew. Harry Colt had so much work he took on an associate, Hugh Alison, in 1906. In 1907, Harry Colt was asked to provide a second opinion at Alwoodley. The secretary and architect of the course? Dr Alister Mackenzie. The relationship forged during the subsequent years would result in the formation of Colt, MacKenzie & Alison in 1919. By 1923, MacKenzie had left the firm. He was replaced in 1928 by another Cambridge golf captain, John Morrison, creating Colt, Alison and Morrison Limited.
At home and abroad, Harry Shapland Colt designed world-class golf courses. In Ireland, Royal Portrush has hosted the Open Championship. Colt's additions at Pine Valley in America with George Crump make it the perennial number one golf course in the world. Additionally, Toronto Golf Club, one of Colt's designs in Canada, is ranked amongst the country's very best.
A Closer Look
We wish to thank friend of Evalu18 and collaborator, Keith Cutten, for the material for this short biography. For a more detailed account, you can find his book by clicking here. Harry Colt is perhaps best known for his book, Some Essays on Golf-Course Architecture.
Harry Colt 's bunkering on Par 3's is usually odd numbered.
He felt courses should reside in the land as opposed to upon it.
Courses should be a part of the natural landscape.
Most greens are square or rectangular.
To help or learn of The Harry Colt Project click here.
- Aberdovey Golf Club
- Addington Golf Club (The)
- Aldeburgh Golf Club – Championship Course
- Alwoodley Golf Club (The)
- Berkhamsted Golf Club
- Blackmoor Golf Club
- Borth & Ynyslas Golf Club
- Brancepeth Castle Golf Club
- Broadstone Golf Club
- Burnham & Berrow Golf Club – Championship
- Camberley Heath Golf Club
- Castlerock Golf Club – Mussenden Links
- Cleveland Golf Club
- County Sligo Golf Club at Rosses Point – Colt Championship Links
- Crowborough Beacon Golf Club
- Denham Golf Club
- Edgbaston Golf Club
- Effingham Golf Club
- Formby Golf Club
- Ganton Golf Club
- Hallamshire Golf Club
- Hankley Common Golf Club
- Harborne Golf Club
- Hayling Golf Club (Hayling Island)
- Headingley Golf Club
- Isle of Purbeck Golf Club – Purbeck Course
- Leckford Estate – Old Course
- Little Aston Golf Club
- Longniddry Golf Club
- Luffenham Heath Golf Club
- Montrose Golf Links – 1562 Course
- Moor Park Golf Club – High Course
- Muirfield (Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers)
- North Hants Golf Club (Fleet)
- Northamptonshire County Golf Club
- Northumberland Golf Club (Gosforth)
- Peebles Golf Club
- Prestbury Golf Club
- Pyle & Kenfig (P&K Golf Club)
- Rosapenna – Old Tom Morris Links
- Royal Belfast Golf Club
- Royal County Down Golf Club – Annesley Course
- Royal County Down Golf Club – Championship Links (Newcastle)
- Royal Dublin Golf Club (Dollymount)
- Royal Liverpool Golf Club (Hoylake)
- Royal Lytham & St Annes Golf Club
- Royal Porthcawl Golf Club
- Royal Portrush Golf Club – Dunluce Links
- Royal Portrush Golf Club – Valley Links
- Royal Wimbledon Golf Club
- Royal Worlington & Newmarket Golf Club (Mildenhall)
- Rye Golf Club – Old
- Sandiway Golf Club
- Sherwood Forest Golf Club
- Southerndown Golf Club
- St Andrews Links – Eden Course
- St George’s Hill Golf Club – Red & Blue
- Stoke Park (Stoke Poges)
- Sunningdale Golf Club – Old
- Swinley Forest Golf Club
- Tandridge Golf Club
- Thorndon Park Golf Club
- Thurlestone Golf Club
- Trevose Golf Club – Championship Course
- Tyneside Golf Club
- Wentworth Golf Club – East Course
- Wentworth Golf Club – West Course
- Whittington Heath Golf Club
- Woodhall Spa Golf Club – Hotchkin Course