After The Old and Ladies Putting Green or Himalayas came the New Course in 1895. It was followed shortly thereafter by the Jubilee and finally the Eden. In modern times, the Castle Course is the most recent addition.
The New opened for play on April 10, 1895 with the local doctor, sherriff, and his lad playing alongside Old Tom. It was mentioned the flags were coloured blue going out and yellow coming in! (Dundee Courier April 11, 1895)
ST ANDREWS NEW COURSE VIDEOS
Watch Hidden Links video here
Golf Course Review
St Andrews New Course is touted as the oldest 'New Course' in the world. Laid out by Old Tom Morris in 1895, the likes lies adjacent to the Old Course with holes 1 through 8 bordering it on the east side. The first tee and 18th green are located near the Ladies Putting Green or Himalayas. Holes 4 through 6 play inside the shepherds crook of the Old Course routing. An out and back traditional links routing makes its way to the Eden Estuary before returning back to town. The course is flanked by the third championship course at St Andrews, The Jubilee, on its east side.
The New is a difficult course measuring a tidy 6686 yards and is the most played course at St Andrews by the local members. Despite being overlooked by most foreign visitors who play the Old and race off to Kingsbarns or Carnoustie, The New offers one of the best links in the British Isles literally next door to the Old Course. There are some shared hallmarks between the two as well. For example, shared fairways and playing corridors and a large double green for the 3rd and 15th.
The St Andrews Links Trust describes the course as having 'undulating fairways and challenging greens' making it 'a classic test of links golf.' Of note, the New can be played for less than half of the green fee for the Old and is even less than a round on the Castle!
This course features in these collections. Click an icon to view the entire set.
Everything you need to know before you go!
Address:Fife, KY16 9XL, Scotland