St Andrews Jubilee Course

Scroll courses A-Z
  • Architects:
  • Holes of Merit:
    9, 10, 15, 16

Overview

St Andrews Jubilee Course is often thought to be the sternest test of the three 'Championship' courses.

After The Old, Ladies Putting Green, and The New came The Jubilee and thereafter finally, The Eden. In modern times, the Castle Course is the most recent addition.

ST ANDREWS JUBILEE COURSE VIDEOS

Watch Hidden Links video here


Golf Course Review

The St Andrews Jubilee Course was opened for play in June 1897, just two years after the New Course opened. So named for the 60th anniversary of Queen Victoria and her Diamond Jubilee from 1837 to 1897. The course was the 3rd of the 4th courses built on the West Sands. After The Old, it was The New followed by The Jubilee.

The course itself was initially laid out for the ladies and beginners. Construction began on April 7, 1897, on a 12 hole course with holes between 150 and 300 yards. (Edinburgh Evening News 8.4.1897) and later extended to 18 holes.

Following WW2, Willie Auchterlonie made improvements to the 18 hole layout. The construction budget was so meagre and materials in short supply, refuse from the town and scrapings from the street were used for construction! Open Champion from 1893 and professional of the R&A, he laid the foundations for what the Jubilee is today.

Donald Steel made it a Championship Course in 1988 with Brian D Pierson Ltd building the course. The course is located directly on the West Sands and is the closest links to the North Sea. An out and back routing, it follows the pattern set by The Old and later adopted by The New. Felt by many to be the most difficult of the seven golf courses on offer.

Golf Course Photography

Purchase photography of this course here.


Collections

This course features in these collections. Click an icon to view the entire set.


Visitor Information

Everything you need to know before you go!