Longniddry Golf Club

Yet another links on the East Lothian coast that will not disappoint.

Longniddry Golf Club

East Lothian, Scotland

Overview

Longniddry Golf Club is a rare mix of woodland and links.

The 6th and 10th green are ancient sites of worship for witches and warlocks!

Herbert Fowler was invited, Harry Colt got the job, but Philip MacKenzie Ross and James Braid made it what it is today.


The Golf Tailor - Custom Fit Edel

Golf Course Review

Longniddry Golf Club is a links golf course in East Lothian, Scotland which lies beside Seaton Sands and the Longniddry Bents overlooking the Firth of Forth. Longniddry is the closest seaside links course to Edinburgh - just 18 miles east of Edinburgh on the shores of the Firth of Forth with commanding sea views.

Although Longniddry Golf Club was opened for play in 1921, golf was played in the area by Mary Queen of Scots as far back as 1567. The 7th Earl of Wemyss & March bought land at Gosford, Longniddry, to be nearer the golf in East Lothian. Four Earls later, the 11th Earl of Wemyss would commission his own golf course to be built on that land.

Longniddry Golf Club History

In August 1914, it was reported that the Earl of Wemyss had commissioned Herbert Fowler to build a new golf course. The work preparing the course was scheduled to begin that autumn. What wasn't planned for was the outbreak of WW1.

After the war, it would be Harry Colt who would design and build 18 holes for the Earl. The site comprised 150 acres, much of which was covered by trees that were cleared. To this day, the course maintains both a woodland and links feel.

The course opened in 1921 highlighted by the presence of James Braid. 15 years later, in 1936, Mr. Braid would return to advise on changes to the course of which a number were acted upon. Three years later, the course would be used for food production to support the war effort.

Philip MacKenzie Ross redesigned much of the course after WW2 and scrapped two of the original holes nearest the sea. Recently, Donald Steel was called upon to modernise the course with repositioning of many of the bunkers.

The Modern Course

Longniddry Golf Club is a par 68 measuring 6260 yards from the back tees which represents a pure test of golf. There are no par 5's and four par 3's. For better or worse, the two-shot holes make up the bulk of the holes where variety in terms of length, is not a strength.

Featured Architect: Harry Colt

Harry Colt felt courses should reside in the land as opposed to upon it. Courses should be a part of the natural landscape. Bunkering on Par 3's is usually odd-numbered. Artificiality and symmetrical hazards were avoided at all costs. Most greens are square or rectangular. Despite this inclination, variety...

View Profile

At a glance

Facilities

Collections

This course features in these collections. Click an icon to view the entire set.

Contact Details

East Lothian, EH32 0NL, Scotland

Visit Club Website

Featured Architect: Harry Colt

Harry Colt felt courses should reside in the land as opposed to upon it. Courses should be a part of the natural landscape. Bunkering on Par 3's is usually odd-numbered. Artificiality and symmetrical hazards were avoided at all costs. Most greens are square or rectangular. Despite this inclination, variety...

View Profile

My Bucket List

Location

Evalu18 Journal

Try these featured posts from our Journal.

More courses by Philip MacKenzie Ross