- Harry Colt
- Morrison, John
Holes of Merit:3, 4, 8, 9
Clyde Johnson of Cunnin' Golf encourages a visit to see untouched Harry Colt green complexes.
Leckford Old Course Videos
Watch a drone flyover of all 9-holes here
Leckford Old Course Reviews
Sean Arble's tour can be found here
Golf Course Review
Leckford Golf Club has two golf courses located on the Leckford Estate, also known as the Waitrose & Partners Farm. The site overlooks the famous trout fishing River Test in Stockbridge, Hampshire, south of Andover and north of Southampton.
Old Course History
The Leckford Golf Club Old Course was designed by Harry Colt & John Morrison in 1929. The private 9 hole golf course was established by Mr John Spedan Lewis, the man behind the John Lewis Partnership (JLP). The club was originally known as the Leckford and Longstock Golf Club and was made available to employees, spouses and dependents after 3 months of employment in 1931. From the outset, the club flourished no doubt due to the twice-yearly visits from John Morrison of Colt, Alison & Morrison Ltd to report and assess the course. During WW2, the course was turned over for agricultural use to support the war effort.
Old Course Synopsis
Found on free-draining flint subsoil, the Old Course itself is located in a tree-lined valley which offers fine views over Hampshire from the higher points on the course. The Old Course has three distinct sections:
- Valley - Holes 1, 2 & 9
- Transition - Holes 3, 4 & 8
- High - Holes - 5, 6 & 7
The routing is a traditional out and back. Back to back Par 5's open the round before a classic uphill Colt Par 3 is presented on the 3rd. After five Par 4's in a row the round ends with another fine downhill Colt Par 3.
A second 9 holes, known as the Leckford Golf Club New Course, was designed by Donald Steel in 1989.
This course features in these collections. Click an icon to view the entire set.
Everything you need to know before you go!
Address:Hampshire, SO20 6JG, England