Yelverton Golf Club

Scroll courses A-Z

Overview

Dartmoor ponies share the common land course with golfers.

The land were the course sits was once owned by Sir Francis Drake.

Yelverton Golf Club Reviews

Sean Arble's tour can be found here


Golf Course Review

Yelverton Golf Club is a moorland golf course on common land north of Plymouth in Devon, England. Near Dartmoor National Park, it is located in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty 600 feet above sea level.

Golf was first played in the vicinity in 1904 when the local vicar formed a club and invited Royal North Devon's professional, Charles Gibson, to lay out nine holes. Another nine holes were added not long after but all 18 fell into disrepair during WW1. In 1920, Herbert Fowler was invited to lay out a new course which is more or less what is played today.

Three of Herbert Fowlers original holes were abandoned after WW2 and replaced by James Braid's. The holes in question are the current closing stretch of 16, 17 and 18. Herbert Fowler is responsible for Holes 1-15 and James Braid, Holes 16-18.

The outstanding architectural feature of the course is Herbert Fowler and James Braid's use of old mine workings as natural hazards. Man-made features are also used. For example, Devonport Leat, built-in 1793 of granite to channel fresh drinking water to Plymouth, is in play as a hazard affecting play on holes 8, 9, 10 and 17.

Peter Alliss said the golf on offer was equivalent to that on offer at Walton Heath. The parallels are seen immediately with the clubhouse and the first hole divorced from the rest fo the course by a road. The first 12 holes make good use of the southern part of the site playing in seclusion from one another. The 13th to 18th holes are compressed on the northern part of the site with no two holes playing in the same direction.


Collections

This course features in these collections. Click an icon to view the entire set.


Visitor Information

Everything you need to know before you go!