The Queen Mother was Captain of the Club in 1932 and thereafter the Patron of the club for many years.
Sunningdale Heath features fourteen par 3s. This short course has small greens, tricky bunkers, practise facilities and a quaint club house.
Sunningdale Heath Golf Club Videos
Watch the documentary of SHGC's new ownership here
Golf Course Review
Sunningdale Heath Golf Club was established by Mr Edward Ernest Villiers as the Sunningdale Ladies Golf Club. As women were not allowed to join nor play Sunningdale Golf Club proper, Mr TA Roberts, one of Sunningdale's founders, requested a club be established where they could play. A comfortable clubhouse along with lawns for tennis and croquet were laid on along with a golf course for the Ladies.
The Sunningdale Heath Golf Club was established in 1902 next door to Sunningdale Golf Club. Wives of husbands who were members next door were allowed to join. The aristocratic and high society flocked to the club with hundreds of lady members signing up. In total, seven members of the Royal family have held official positions within the club including two Queens!
The 18 hole course plays to a par of 58 and stretches to just 3705 yards. There are no par 5's and the longest Par 4, of which there are only four, is 328 yards! With 14 of 18 holes being one-shot holes, it would appear this short course features the most Harry Colt designed par 3s in existence.
Sunningdale Heath Golf Club - What's In a Name?
There is some confusion around the name of the club when doing research. The original Sunningdale Heath Golf Club was the third loop of nine holes, known as the Chauffeurs course, established in 1911. From 1911 until 1923, the estate would have featured Willie Park Jr's Sunningdale, Sunningdale Heath and the 18 hole Ladies course.
In 1923, the New Course laid out by Harry Colt cannibalised the Chauffeurs Course or what was then officially known as Sunningdale Heath Golf Club. After Tom Simpson's changes, the name was changed from the New Course to the Jubilee Course. After John Morrisons changes in 1939, the name was changed back to the New Course!
The name to Sunningdale Heath GC was made in 2016 from Sunningdale Ladies GC with the transfer of ownership to Kristian Baker and Tom Reid. Learn more about their story in the video above.
This course features in these collections. Click an icon to view the entire set.
Everything you need to know before you go!
Address:Berkshire, SL5 9RX, England