Tenby Golf Club
Tenby is one of the founding members of the Welsh Golf Union and the birthplace of Welsh golf.
The club's most famous son was Ryder Cup Captain and Welsh International, Dai Rees.
Golf Course Review
Tenby Golf Club lies on the shores of the Tenby South Beach between St Catherine’s Island and Giltar Point. Opposite the beach is St Margaret’s Island and Caldey Island, with the Bristol Channel beyond.
Tenby Golf Club History
The golf club itself dates to 1888 with golf being played as early 1875. Originally a 9 hole course, it was extended to 18 in 1907. Tenby was then a Victorian seaside spa town and noted health resort where sea-bathing was renowned. Golf appears to have been added to attract those who wanted to visit but stay dry. James Braid was brought in to advise on improvements to the course in 1913.
Tenby Golf Club Synopsis
The course measures a healthy 6500 yards but has only two par 5’s, encountered on the opening hole and then on the 16th. The layout has just three Par 3’s meaning string of Par 4’s are played in succession. For example, four are played in a row from holes two through five. From holes 7 through 11, five more are played without reprieve. The final six holes add the needed variety with no two holes of the same sort being played back to back.
Tenby Golf Club Photography
Tenby Golf Club - Videos
watch hidden links review of tenby golf club
Featured Architect: MacKenzie, Alister
As taken from his book, Golf Architecture, Alister MacKenzie felt the following were essential: The course, where possible, should be arranged in two loops of nine holes. There should be a large proportion of good two-shot holes and at least four one-shot holes. There should be little walking between...