Carlow Golf Club
Christy O'Connor Sr selected the 16th as one of his top 18 holes.
Water hazards come into play on four holes: 1, 2, 10 & 11.
The course benefits from free-draining soil which makes it firm and fast as well as playable year-round.
Golf Course Review
Carlow Golf Club is found inland on a deer park near the market town of Carlow. The course itself straddles the border of County Kildare and County Carlow.
Carlow Golf Club History
Founded in 1899 as the Leinster Golf Club as a 9 hole course situated 5 miles from its current location. The name was changed to Carlow Golf Club on June 27, 1901. Following WW1, 165 acres were leased and the club moved to its’ present site in 1922, with Cecil Barcroft laying out 18 holes.
Simpson & Gourlay at Carlow GC
In 1937, Tom Simpson and Molly Gourlay were called upon to redesign 10 greens and review the sand and grass bunkering. The course has been lengthened and additional bunkers added but otherwise, the course remains as it was after Simpson and Gourlay’s amendments.
Carlow Golf Club - Videos
Watch Carlow Golf Club's Promo Video
Featured Architect: Alister MacKenzie
As taken from his book, Golf Architecture, Alister MacKenzie felt the following were essential: The course, where possible, should be arranged in two loops of nine holes. There should be a large proportion of good two-shot holes and at least four one-shot holes. There should be little walking between...