Herbert Fowler was born in North London in 1856. A gifted natural athlete, Herbert excelled at most sports but particularly cricket. At the tender age of 22, he was made a partner of a banking firm.
Introduction to Golf
During a business trip to Devon in 1879, Herbert first experienced golf at Westward Ho! Almost a decade later, after a successful cricket career, he would turn his attention to golf. After a visit to St Andrew's, he became a member at the Royal and Ancient Golf Club and later the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers, Muirfield.
Financial Reversal - Golf's Gain?
Held by many to be an inept businessman, Herbert was on the verge of bankruptcy in the late 1890s. In 1899, Sir Cosmo Bonsor presented the idea of building a golf course in Surrey which would become known as Walton Heath. Following this rousing success, more remodelling and design projects followed.
A Closer Look
We wish to thank friend of Evalu18 and collaborator, Keith Cutten, for the material for this short biography. For a more detailed account, you can find his book by clicking here.
Time was spent finding the golf course by establishing the most natural looking green sites and working backwards to the tee.
Bernard Darwin described Fowler as “perhaps the most daring and original of all golfing architects..."
Topography used to test with his courses following the contours of the land.
Bunkers were deep and hazards were concentrated around the greens as opposed to the fairway to test the tee shot.
Understated, simple and sparing with the use of hazards.
- Aberdovey Golf Club
- Alwoodley Golf Club (The)
- Beau Desert Golf Club
- Berkshire Golf Club (The) – The Blue Course
- Berkshire Golf Club (The) – The Red Course
- Blackwell Golf Club
- Bovey Castle (Manor House)
- Broadstone Golf Club
- Bull Bay Golf Club
- Burnham & Berrow – Championship
- Cruden Bay Golf Club
- Delamere Forest Golf Club
- Ganton Golf Club
- Huddersfield Golf Club (Fixby)
- Knole Park Golf Club
- North Foreland – Main Course
- Royal Automobile Club – Coronation Course
- Royal Automobile Club – Old Course
- Royal Lytham & St Anne’s Golf Club
- Royal North Devon Golf Club (Westward Ho!)
- Saunton Golf Club East
- Saunton Golf Club West
- Southerndown Golf Club
- Walton Heath – New Course
- Walton Heath – Old Course
- Yelverton Golf Club